Monday 6 May 2013

Day 10: St Justinian's to Abereiddy

Weather: Partly cloudy, then sunny, warm and still
Distance covered today: 16.3km (10.1mi)
Last night's B&B: The Coach House
% Complete: Cum distance: 72.1%: 212.0km  (131.7mi)
GPS satellite track of today's route: Day 10 (click!)

Walkers of the world unite!  We demand our rights (of way)!  Forgive me, but it is May Day, or in these politically correct and bureaucratically anodyne times, Early May Bank Holiday.  The hordes are still in town, inducing me to withdraw from the scrum into the realms of thought, and specifically to thoughts about walking.

Thoreau looms ever larger in my thinking. Sensible man, he had a great love for walking, which we share. He also wrote very eruditely about it. In fact he wrote an essay which he named simply “Walking”.  I first heard about it from a young, American student, by name Joanna, who was doing a creative writing course at Washington College in the US and who randomly commented on a post in my LEJOG blog. She introduced me to his field notes, written by him in preparation for the final essay.

I have come across references to his love of walking and its philosophical underpinning in many instances since then, and earlier in this walk, Adrienne was expressing ideas with which he would have been quite at home.  Last night, I finally met up with the intrepid group of walkers from Tunbridge Wells, and amidst much ribaldry, had a half-way serious conversation with their deposed “glorious leader” George, a thoughtful, amusing and articulate member of the group and its chief organiser. His ouster as leader was the collective and boisterous result of his faulty planning of their walk the previous day, which resulted in their late arrival in St David’s (and their incidentally standing me up in The Jolly Farmer!)

They had obviously discussed me and my wanderings and were keen to interrogate me on the whys and wherefores. I fear I acquitted myself poorly, but over the general hubbub, George and I did have an interesting conversation.  He introduced me to the idea of “Ambulando solvitur”, which was new to me, and on research, rather surprisingly so. It means, literally “It is solved by walking”, and has a long and distinguished intellectual heritage.

I was trying to explain that I had found it impossible to think deeply about things in my walks, something I have been going on about in these blogs for ages. He disagrees. He says the whole point is that by exposure to all the elements of a walk and the practical exercise of it, the subconscious is processing these issues in its own time and space and that the solutions will emerge as a natural consequence. This is something with which my good friend Peter, in Pringle Bay, would no doubt agree.

Thoreau too reaches into the same idea: “In the spaces of thought are the reaches of land and water, where men go and come. The landscape lies far and fair within and the deepest thinker is the farthest travelled.”  This may have been a touch too self-serving, though he wasn’t necessarily referring to himself!  I argued with George about this, but he was insistent. He is convinced that walking is the natural condition of Homo Sapiens and it is therefore a process through which we address big issues, even if we do not consciously approach them at the time.

Thoreau, again in his essay on walking, waxes eloquent on the subject.  He may be a little politically incorrect in this post 9/11 world, in which Bush the Younger made such a fool of himself about the crusades, but allowing for the context of his own times, Thoreau says:  “I have met with but one or two persons in the course of my life who understood the art of Walking, that is, of taking walks,—who had a genius, so to speak, for sauntering, which word is beautifully derived ‘from idle people who roved about the country, in the Middle Ages, and asked charity, under pretense of going a la Sainte Terre,’ to the Holy Land, till the children- exclaimed, ‘There goes a SainteTerrer,’ Saunterer, a Holy-Lander. They who never go to the Holy Land in their walks, as they pretend, are indeed mere idlers and vagabonds; but they who do go there are saunterers in the good sense, such as I mean….For every walk is a sort of crusade, preached by some Peter the Hermit in us, to go forth and reconquer this Holy Land from the hands of the Infidels.”

On the same theme, my good friend, Mary sent me this quote from Rebecca Solnit, in her book ‘Wanderlust: A History of Walking’;  “Walking, ideally, is a state in which the mind, the body, and the world are aligned, as though they were three characters finally in conversation together, three notes suddenly making a chord. Walking allows us to be in our bodies and in the world without being made busy by them. It leaves us free to think without being wholly lost in our thoughts”.  This precisely addresses my issue. I have equated being lost in my thoughts with thinking deeply, and the act of walking prevents this. Rebecca is at one with Thoreau and George that this doesn’t matter!

She goes on to say, “Moving on foot seems to make it easier to move in time; the mind wanders from plans to recollections to observations.

“The rhythm of walking generates a kind of rhythm of thinking, and the passage through a landscape echoes or stimulates the passage through a series of thoughts. This creates an odd consonance between internal and external passage, one that suggests that the mind is also a landscape of sorts and that walking is one way to traverse it. A new thought often seems like a feature of the landscape that was there all along, as though thinking were traveling rather than making. And so one aspect of the history of walking is the history of thinking made concrete, for the motions of the mind cannot be traced, but those of the feet can.

“Walking can also be imagined as a visual activity, every walk a tour leisurely enough both to see and to think over the sights, to assimilate the new into the known. Perhaps this is where walking's peculiar utility for thinkers comes from. The surprises, liberations, and clarifications of travel can sometimes be garnered by going around the block as well as going around the world, and walking travels both near and far.

“Or perhaps walking should be called movement, not travel, for one can walk in circles or travel around the world immobilized in a seat, and a certain kind of wanderlust can only be assuaged by the acts of the body itself in motion, not the motion of the car, boat, or plane. It is the movement as well as the sights going by that seems to make things happen in the mind, and this is what makes walking ambiguous and endlessly fertile: it is both means and end, travel and destination.”

There is for me a congruence between these ideas, and what my good friend Julian would call a synchronicity in their all coming together during this walk. How far separated Thoreau and his Walden Pond is from George and his squash-club colleagues in Tunbridge Wells!

And so this is me, your saunterer, sounding intense, but, if truth be told, actually just loving the challenge and the fun of this walk.  So maybe I am just an idler and a vagabond after all?

A fiery sunset in context for the conflicts that beset St David's Cathedral through history!

Only a parent will understand!

St David's magnificent cathedral in the smallest city in Britain

The ruined Bishop's Palace: St David himself lived humbly. The princes of the church later did not!

Setting off from St Justinian's along this magical path

An Oystercatcher admiring the patterns of lichen

Approaching Whitesands Bay

The beach at Whitesands Bay at low tide

The coast up to Carn Penberry, the first igneous outcrop on my journey so far

Violet?

I would have to walk over the shoulder of Carn Penberry

A seal lazing in the sun

Two of his brothers, standing upright in the water for some reason

A most striking butterfly! Julian, what is it?

The crown of Carn Penberry

Looking northwards from the Carn towards some really rugged coastline

Ox-eye Daisy

?
 

Looking back over the path already travelled

Abereiddy, my destination for the day in the middle at the top

A field of primrose

18 comments:

  1. Synchronicity - yes indeed. - as it happens, I am reading The Omnivore's Dilemma (Michael Pollan 2006) - A natural history of four meals. These are 1) factory farmed 2) mass organic 3) small eco-farm (like mine) and 4) hunter gatherer.

    In writing about the hunter-gatherer meal, the author decides that it is imperative for him to hunt down his meal and therefore prepares himself and then goes out with a friend to hunt a wild pig. The process leads him to philosophize about the nature of hunting and he quotes from Ortega Y Gasset - a Spanish hunter / writer as follows: "when one is hunting, the air has another more exquisite feel as it glides over the skin or enters the lungs, the rocks acquire a more expressive physiognomy, and the vegetation become loaded with meaning" and later he quotes again: "The tourist sees broadly the great spaces, but his gaze glides, it seizes nothing, it does not perceive the role of each ingredient in the dynamic architecture of the countryside. Only the hunter, imitating the perpetual alertness of the wild animal, for whom everything is danger, sees everything and sees each thing functioning as facility or difficulty, as risk or protection"

    Pollan then goes on to talk about the "cannabinoid neural network" - a set of receptors in the nervous system mobilized by cannabinoids that have the effect of intensifying sensory experience, disabling short term memory and stimulating appetite. A bit like smoking marijuana, or so I have heard - hantitika (isn't that so?) Kevin?

    I was planning to somehow introduce this topic in my blog comment today, but by the magic of synchronicity, Kevin has already set the theme in his intriguing and deeply challenging essay on "walking".

    Kevin, is walking as a "professional saunterer" (I think you have earned this title) is a bit like a cannabinoid experience? Sometimes when I am walking in more challenging terrain, my sensory experience may change entirely and I become 'integrated' into the space, I become part of the soil, the vegetation, I become experientially linked to the path and I am not a separate entity - my movements are fluid and precise and balanced - for a shortish while, and then I get caught up with thoughts in my head. I can imagine that in the searing light of some clear dawn sky, with sound amplified and clarified, surrounded by magnificent solitude, and of course being in Wales, it must be possible to stay in that different experience for the longest time.

    Ambulando Solvitur - yes indeed it does.
    Finally a quote:
    “We'll be Friends Forever, won't we, Pooh?' asked Piglet.
    Even longer,' Pooh answered.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, there are glimpses, but frankly I am these days probably too practical, beset by maps, satnav, guidebook, etc.I think perhaps a missing ingredient is the imagination of youth. Just sometimes though, unexpectedly, the magic happens; like arguing with the crow the other day, over the right to be there. His argument was raucous and persuasive. I was bigger!

      Delete
    2. perhaps a puff of cannabis?

      Delete
  2. Hmm! I wonder what the daughters would make of your ruminations today!!? However, I'm sure today's blog will pose some interesting reflections by your readers... I walk, when I do, to enjoy the company of family or friends or to immerse myself in the countyside. Rarely can I do the 2 together!
    In my ruminations on the Cathedral, I recall the info there as saying that at the time when it was built,, the sea level was higher and ships could navigate all the way up to the Cathedral car park!! (Look at Google Maps and see just how far up that is!) St Davids was then the MAIN CITY in Britain, (if not Europe), providing extreme riches for the monastery. Hence the size of the buildings, most of which are now ruins. It is an astounding place.
    I absolutely LOVE the notation about the children! That had me laughing out loud!
    Yes, a violet, no, probably just a Daisy (size and height?), a celandine and yes, primroses in such a pretty waterfall of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one gets the impression in St David's that they must have regarded the Normans as "Johnny come lately", put, you understand, in a slightly more Celtic vernacular. It is interesting that the emphasis here is on the spiritual rather than the more defense-minded approach of the folks in Pembroke, suggesting a more settled and peaceful community, until, of course, the Normans did come! (All speculation. I'll have to read the history!)

      Delete
  3. KTB,
    Will need to re-read your walking piece tomorrow - too bushed to take it in just now, but once again stunning scenery and images. The very pretty butterfly is a Male Orange-tip. Congratulations on getting a really good picture of it, feeding off a bluebell? It took me at least a couple of years of chasing after the blighters to get close enough to get a usable image. For anyone interested the female lacks the orange wing tips, instead having beautifully speckled/marbled black on white. I'm banking on an adder picture basking in the warm sunshine tomorrow, Kevin, so keep your eyes peeled ...
    BW
    GH and HN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the female lacks the orange wing tip, doesn't she resent being called an Orange-tip? Can you imagine the discussion in the Wing-tip feminist circles?

      I look forward to your further analysis of the other stuff in due course!

      Delete
    2. Kevin,
      I think your walking and thinking has got ahead of you, in typically mischievous and amusing fashion. My guess is that she's quite happy to be inconspicuous and let the lads show off with their brash appearance. After all she's the one who does the critical survival of the species bit of checking out the larval food plants and laying the eggs. (And who knows, if she's like our incredible turkeys, where I discovered this week that it's the female of the species who initiates actual mating behaviour ... all that male strutting around is an actually vain effort to get things going. We all (blokes) know where the real power lies ... whoops this is getting a bit controversial).But actually Orange tips have a very wandering type of flight, hither and thither over quite big distances. So maybe a variant of the walking idea, with time to dally and reflect on lepidopteran philosophy.
      I find your exploration of walking and thought fascinating. I'm sure that freeing yourself up from contemporary distractions, and busyness, combined with the repetitive gentle physical activity - all good for the reticular formation to trundle away - allows conscious or subconscious musings. But of course Thoreau also spent a lot of time just 'living' in a simple hut didn't he? Making time to smell the roses(or their wild equivalents). Come to think of it, hasn't Melvin Bragg done an 'In Our Time on Thoreau, and the group of philosophers who formed a school, around this time? Can't for the life of me remember what they were called/ Can you help me out? Anyway enough ramblings... must enjoy the sunshine whilst it lasts,
      BW for today,
      GH

      Delete
    3. Kevin,
      Just found the 'In Our Time ' Link for "Thoreau and The American Idyll". http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00glr78 .I shall try to listen to it again this evening. Perhaps you can download it to one of your electronic gizmos, and listen as you trudge the perhaps lonely again path, but maybe that would defeat the very object?
      BW
      GH

      Delete
    4. Julian, how very thoughtful! I will certainly listen to it, though I fear that given the imperatives of my current journey, I won't have the time till I get home. So much for the quiet, contemplative state of walking. I feel as if I'm running to catch a train all the time!

      Delete
  4. Well, I don't have the philosophical bent to comment on today's discussion, but I always find a good saunter gives me an appetite....cannabinoid effect? Probably just glycogen depletion!
    Anyway, Kevin, I vote the Oystercatcher as the photo of the day! Gorgeous!! But the seals were a treat!
    Veronica, I was stumped on the celandine. I don't think we have this plant, which my book says is a member of the buttercup family, but we have something referred to as celandine that is a member of the poppy family, and apparently introduced from Europe. And if anyone is interested, our celandine is poisonous to chickens but good for treating warts and freckles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Veronica both, dear Phyllis, far too practical to get involved in all this psycho-babble! Ah well, you have to allow me (and Richard and probably Julian, when he wakes up) to have the occasional reverie!

      Delete
  5. Phyllis, I too liked that Oystercatcher - I've seen them in the Cape and wonder if they are the same breed. (I'll have a closer look at a photo when K is home - it's somewhere on his computer.) Those ones breed on the beaches!
    You're quite right about your Celandine research. This one is strictly the Lesser Celandine (but I have always just called them 'Celandines'). Yours is either the Greater and another type, the Celandine-poppy!! But I have had great fun researching this early spring flower. Julian, it has a Welsh name, translated to 'April's Eye', and it's Gaelic name translates to 'Sun'. It is the flower eulogised by William Wordsworth, not in fact the Daff!! And it is very usefull as a herbal remedy for piles!! It's other name is Pilewort!! The roots are used as a hot compress in such a treatment!!! (It has astringent qualities....!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cape Oystercatchers are all black apart from their red eye surrounds and beaks. Otherwise they look very similar.

      And at least I know what to do with any passing celandines.....

      Delete
  6. Beautiful colour combinations Approaching Whitesands Bay.
    I agree with George, enjoy your surroundings and your mind will sort out things for you to think about when you are at rest. As someone said the present is a present.
    Veronica, how do you know that Wordsworth was talking about celandines? I love daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So do I, Bridgie. I was researching all the different Celandines and came across a site which gave me all this info (I've been trying to find it again with no luck so far!). In fact the Wiki info for Lesser Celandine also has a bit about his love for the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found the site! http://www.herbsociety.org.uk/hh-lesser-celandine.htm
    Or you can search for it under; Welsh name for Celandine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting stuff on walking n thinking - I remember that I always had to get up and pace back n forth when I was discussing proposals in the office at work, it really helped me to think, and deeply. But of course there was no distraction from scenery etc. must be the rhythm or maybe something more primeal?

    ReplyDelete