Monday 13 May 2013

Day 15: Ceibwr Bay to St Dogmaels


Weather: Mostly sunny with strong south wester
Distance covered today: 12.2km (7.6mi)
Last night's B&B: The Golden Lion Country Inn
% Complete: Cum distance:100.6%:301.8km(187.5mi)
GPS satellite track of today's route: Day 15 (click!)


Home again! Veronica is off to her Pilates session, and I’m back behind my netbook, my desktop and my tablet, and it’s all as if I never went away. Except for the suntan….

May I first apologise for the late publication of the final post, but it is my wont to analyse these things in nerdy detail, and for that I require the software on my desktop, so I had to get home first.  Also Veronica and I were splendidly entertained by Fiona and the Grumpy Hobbit, Julian, in their beautiful Welsh long cottage in the Welsh hills, and being a hobbit, such things as wifi have yet to breach his portals.

The Hobbit did though join me for the final leg of the journey, a short walk to the end of the trail in St Dogmaels.  Many walkers do the penultimate and final day’s walk of the coastal path in a single day, but at 27km (17mi), and incorporating the highest cliffs of the journey so far, that would be a very demanding day and the less enjoyable for all that. Equally, previous experience has suggested to me that it is always delightful to end the walk in a reasonably refreshed state to enjoy the reunion and to celebrate its conclusion.  The guidebooks are always most unsentimental about the last steps, somehow suggesting that one should already be planning the next walk, but don’t tell Veronica!

In fact, the final leg was very much a walk in two parts. The first half, to Cemaes Head, involved an exhilarating climb up the highest cliff of the journey (570ft, 175m), made exciting by the strong and gusty onshore south wester climbing the cliffs and hurling itself at us on the edge.  Fortunately, the cliffs are not steep on this leg, but the views are spectacular.

Once again, very few people seemed to be taking advantage of this wonderful resource. We met one mad Irishman, who looked as if he had very many miles under his belt; we passed Adrienne, now joined by her partner, Nigel, on the point of completing her very first long-distance walk, for which many congratulations; and finally we met a highly animated and rather concerned little group of four amateurs, with the females of the group seemingly terrified at the prospect of facing the cliffs in the strong wind.  Then the walk sort of petered out with a long and rather boring descent on a tar road into St Dogmaels.

And that was it! The End!

Now, though, for the exciting bit, the stats!


First an overview of the route. The numbers indicate the Waypoints at the conclusion of each day's walk. I uploaded the waypoints into Google Earth. For individual daily tracks, see the relevant GPS section on the top, right hand side of the blog





The weather is always an important element of a hike. I was yet again incredibly lucky in a very wet spring to select the only dry patch we've had since the beginning of winter.




The trail was surprisingly hilly. At an average of 2,720 ft/day the trail was "steeper" than the Pennine Way (2,450 ft/day) and only a little less than the dreaded Offa's Dyke (3,020 ft/day)

Most guidebooks argue that the trail is "easier" in the South than the North. These statistics suggest otherwise, though combining days 14 &15 would certainly top the difficulty stakes! 

The same data in English units. Now for a few last pictures of the final day's walk

Setting off from Ceibwr Bay, joined by Julian, the Grumpy Hobbit himself!

A lovely clapper bridge; the first I've seen since the Highlands

That's Cemaes Head, the last headland of the journey and the half-way point of today's walk

Amazing folding on the rocky headland

Adrienne on the right, with her partner, Nigel

More of those incredible folds, with a cathedral-like cave door at the base

Julian struggling against the wind to close a gate

A new foal for Veronica

These are lazy, but erudite sheep. I see one of them is reading "The Girl with a Pearl Earring". Either that or they like Vermeer! 

One feels one is returning to civilisation!

And suddenly, it's the end!  There's a plaque to prove it!

A lovely reunion with Veronica

And a last little lamb for Phyllis. (I was cheating a bit. I snapped this at the hobbit-hole)


19 comments:

  1. Kevin,

    have a look at "thinking fast and slow" by daniel kahneman ISBN-13: 978-0141033570 - it's an interesting book in its own right - he got a nobel prize - but why you may find it specifically of interest is one of the opening chapters deals with walking and thinking

    ambulando solvitur rules!

    good to meet you - next time we met you can buy me a beer :-)

    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hullo George, I thought you had disappeared into the wildernesses of Tunbridge Wells! Thanks for the reference; I reckon a bit of reading will make an excellent change for the time being. I look forward to buying you that beer! What are the chances!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Kev, that was wonderful... Almost good enough to give up jogging and take up vicarious walking through other people's blogs, particularly since we're having a very wintry chilly spell. I am now trying hard to emulate you and think things when I'm out there instead of counting one two three four one two three four one two three four, but with no success. ( this is a compelling reason for me never to do a blog). Anyway, rest up quick and set off again anytime in the knowledge that your virtual support team stands by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That virtual support team has been invaluable! I mean it! As I walk along, I think about how all I see, hear, smell and feel would have appeared to the various commentators. Talk about ambulando solvitur! It's enough to give one brain failure...

      Delete
  3. At last - a rare sighting of Grumpy Hobbit and Anonymous.. I hope you are safe! But, from the pictures, you do seemed to have tamed them both.
    absolutely classic chevron folds and faults in picture 11 - text book examples.
    The daily ascents came to average 841m -- (or 2733 ft for the un-metricated primitives amongst humanity - excuse the plug for metrication here) .. a truly impressive figure, and no doubt made easier by your svelte lightweight figure as shown in the last photos. This is 1.4 times higher than Mt Everest.
    Au revoir and merci beaucoup mon brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Richard, methinks you must have been looking at the pictures on a tablet, probably your iPad, because you didn't see the caption under the "Daily Climb" graph, where the calculations had already been done for you. This makes me think it is time for me to consider using proper captions again, rather than just text under the pictures. I found that too fiddly in the past...

      And yes, I lost a stone on this journey (that's 14 lbs or for you, Richard, 6.4kg. Probably put it all back on in about a week!)

      Delete
    2. Sigh -- I have been trying to lose 5kg for the last 20 years! To no avail thus far. Perhaps what I need is a really long walk!

      Delete
    3. Definitely! Harare to Cape Town!

      Delete
  4. Hello KTMW,
    Very many thanks for tempting the hobbit out of the shire and onto the coastal path. A glorious enjoyable day, and I'm glad that you sensibly reduced the daily distance to spare me. And even more in awe of what again you have yet achieved with this walk. We look forward to hearing of the next project in due course. I shall in due course post my own little piece on this venture and, with your permission, put a link onto this splendid blog record of the amazing outdoor scenery of the coastal path which really is on our doorstep.
    BTW, the lamb is called Carla (after C.Bruni-Sarkozy - very pretty, precocious and photogenic...).
    You even got me looking at Garmin's on line (THAT's an achievement), and now I'm pestered with ads on any page I look at, such is the clever internet marketing these days,
    VBW,
    GH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume, O Grumpy Hobbit, that KTMW means "Kevin the Mad Walker"! And indeed Carla is very fetching. I had intended to put a link to your blog in this post, but I regret it went right out of my mind! It may be a bit late now, but here it is anyway. Folks, if you would like to see proper photos and an account of how to really appreciate the deeper things about gardens, insects, rural life in the hobbit hole and all sorts of fascinating insights, this is for you: http://thegardenimpressionists.wordpress.com

      Delete
    2. Well, that didn't work too well! Obviously you can't put URLs into comments on blogger (at least they won't work as links!).

      Delete
  5. Apropos the previous blog's comment on how much (or little) in the way of warm clothing K has found it necessary to wear over this walk, in the picture featuring The End of the walk he is standing next to me with a shirt on (and for those of you who will chip in regarding the rest of his attire, yes, and trousers etc!), while I had 5 layers on under that jacket! There was a stiff cold wind blowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to recall at least two previous references to a cultivated "leather" layer...Kevin has himself slimmed down and toughened up from all this yomping! (My computer has just underlined that last word...did you make that up, Kevin? I'm going to borrow it!)

      Little Carla is adorable! I was prompted to look back at Julian's March blog to see the "baby" photos of the lambs, and I'm curious about the other two lambs.

      Heart congratulations, Kevin. Glad you are home now, safe and sound. This has been a fabulous trip and I greatly enjoyed being part of your community of followers. I wish I could have lost a stone! Can't wait for your next walk...how about Wainwright's Coast to Coast!!

      Delete
    2. Kevin, of course I meant "hearty" congratulations. And while I'm on the topic of mistaken spelling and reading, our dog Ginny wants you to know she thinks your final destination sounds like a really good place. But, Rob believes she mistook St. Dogmaels to read St. "Dogmeals"!

      Many thanks again for taking us on this journey. Absolutely inspiring!
      Cheers, Phyllis and Rob

      Delete
    3. Hi Phyllis and Rob,
      Many thanks for your wonderful support throughout this journey, and your comment above about the next one is inspired! Coast to coast was always going to be the preferred choice! Just following in your footsteps!!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, Kevin. I expect Veronica is happy to have you back safe and sound. Are you going to give us your impressions of your accommodation along the way? It is a really interesting coastline. I did not think it would have so much variety. I am going to miss your blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bridgie, The standard of accommodation was uniformly very high; better than on previous walks. There was one disappointing establishment, but that was also partly because they were unable to supply an evening meal, there was nowhere else nearby and they didn't offer to give me a lift to a nearby town, so I had to make do with a very greasy "chippie". Otherwise I was very well looked after. If you would like details of the individual places, let me know by email and I'll send you a summary!

      Delete
  7. Hi Kev, thanks, yet again, for your absorbing blog and fascinating pictures nothing else on the computer lures me thither with such eagerness as your postings do. Somehow, travels and scenic wonders apart, not even conversations with you enable one to come as close to your thinking and being as your blogs provide. Thank you! We are so glad you are both safe home and are honestly astonished at your final pictures of casual, healthy well-being. It almost, but only almost, encourages me to take up walking!! Don't start a lecture now ... I might even have to, to help the very newly "un-booted" fellow to learn to use his Achilles tendon again! Love, M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Margie, you and Peter should come here for a walking holiday!

      Delete