Saturday 4 May 2013

Day 9: Solva to St Justinian's

Weather: Brilliant sunshine with strong south wester
Distance covered today: 17,3km (10.7)
Last night's B&B: The Coach House
% Complete: Cumulative distance: 67.8%: 195.7km
GPS satellite track of today's route: Day 9 (click!)

Disaster averted!  It’s the long weekend and I have a pile of dirty laundry. The last, remaining laundrette in this part of Pembrokeshire is near St David’s. It’s 4:15, and I’m on the road, not realising how far out of town it is. I get there at 4:30, see a sign saying it closes today at 4:00 and won’t be open for the rest of the weekend. I find the woman who runs it just as she is about to go home. After some persuasion, she offers to wash for me, but not to dry, and for me that won’t do. I plead with her. No dice. I offer her extra money. That does the trick, but in a very strange way. She refuses to take the money, but agrees to do the drying anyway. British principle.

There is some sort of catch in the arrangement, because she still insists she is going, but she says that there’s a girl in the garage up the road who will complete the transaction. So, my job is to sit here and listen to the washing machine behind a locked door, while waiting to see what happens next. At least I can write my blog while history unfolds…..

In a way, I’ve earned this little inconvenience. I’ve had another superb day, in lovely weather.  It has probably been the easiest walk of the trip! I haven’t done the stats yet, but I’m fairly sure it was the shortest and flattest of the coast so far. The only disadvantage was that the hordes have arrived from the urban centres for the long weekend, so my quiet sojourn on the lonely coastal path became something of a procession. It was one of those greetingless days, when one would be lucky to get more than a “Hi!” out of a passer-by.  The older generation, who are the warp and weft of my previous normality have been augmented by a younger, adventure-seeking mob. They have arrived in their droves, carrying all sorts of gear.

The latest craze is “Coasteering”, presumably a play on mountaineering. This involves all sorts of activities along the rugged coastline, the most gentile of which is simple abseiling down and climbing up the coastal cliffs.  There is of course the usual snorkelling and scuba diving, but at the more extreme end comes leaping off the cliffs into the sea below.

I followed one group who did this, and watched them in action. I was impressed at the attention to detail, the safety gear, and the expert instructors.  For sheer adrenalin, it seems hard to beat. Cynically, I noted that all the practitioners were male and their audience was mostly female. It was hard to resist the thought that this is the just the latest form of breast-beating in the mating rituals of the advanced primates. Certainly, there was an element of one-upmanship in the choice of ever higher cliffs! But they are brave…. (I do hope our Anna isn’t reading this…..)

Back on the coastal path, I found it interesting that amongst the hordes of weekenders, certain groups are missing. There are of course the young lovers, happy and childless (for the time being anyway), struggling to walk along the narrow path arm-in-arm, or at least holding hands. Absent are the parents of young kids, for very obvious reasons. Absent also are the teenagers. What could be more boring than walking along a path? The older generation are very much in the majority.
 
Inevitably, there is also the use of inappropriate clothing, such as string sandals or high heels. It baffles me that people do not understand that this is not just uncomfortable, but on steep cliffs could be really dangerous. It was not a generous thought, but I felt that the occupants of the cliffs today were somewhat vacuous; they were clearly not there to gain deep insight. Sensation is all. Yet again, who am I to judge?
 
Eventually, my attention was drawn back to the sea. In the straight between the mainland and Ramsay Island, I observed the amazing phenomenon known as “The Bitches”. I would have thought this politically incorrect nomenclature would by now have been eradicated from popular usage, but there it is in the guidebooks and on the OS map.

It is indeed a strange and spectacular sight.  Apparently it is caused by a dramatic change in the height of the sea-bed and the funnelling effect of the narrow strait between the island and the mainland. For six hours on the flood tide, the water travels northwards at speeds of up to 8 knots, but in the reef, can reach speeds of up to 18 knots. Height differences each side of the reef can be as much as 1.5 metres. On the ebb tide, the process reverses itself, though less spectacularly.  There are standing waves in the sea and kayakers travel from all over to experience them. Ordinary snaps hardly do justice to the phenomenon.  Someone should stick a few turbines out there to harness such an enormous source of energy!

Meanwhile the dryer has completed its cycle, the girl from the garage has appeared to unlock the door and my washing is complete!  What an excellent day!

Veronica's cafe in Solva!

Back up on the clifs in the morning sunshine, looking down on a shining sea

Limestone again, and therefore lovely grassy paths

More atmospheric views into the morning sun

A shipwreck. That's the stern to the left and what could be the engine block on the right! I'm guessing!

Surf around the tilted sedimentary rocks of the coast

This lot were literally posing for a photo for Veronica

A strangely precise current differentiation in the sea; almost a straight line!

Caerfai Bay (pronounced Car-fy)

I couldn't help imagining my little Veronica, all spindly arms and legs, rushing out from a freezing sea and unable to find any warmth to stop the shivers

St Non's chapel. She was St. David's mum

???

Rocks tilted beyond the vertical

More lime kilns at Porth Clais

Fantastic parallel tilted sediments

Leaving glassy, flat surfaces

A curlew in the distance

And a flying human, heading seawards!

Ramsey Island comes into view above the gorse

Vast numbers of exhausted, super-annuated, human fauna resting beneath the cliffs

And a little troop of Welsh Greys welcoming me to their turf!

First sight of the incredible bitches!

An wonderful natural phenomenon

Quiet aquamarine beyond the point

The St Justinian's lifeboat, at the ready for bank holiday madness

Inappropriate footwear on the cliffs!
 
 
 
 


17 comments:

  1. Your comments about the inappropriate footwear remind me of some of the ill-shod individuals we overtook on our ascent of Mt Snowdon, and I recall my friend Paul was dismayed by the sight of high-heels when he was at Striding Edge! And what's that on your woman's leg...a tattoo I expect, but maybe an ugly scar resulting from her previous fall on the cliffs!

    Along with Margie, and probably others, I'm addicted to the blog! Each day, the photos seem yet more realistic and your reflections more entertaining and inspiring. How joyful. This time next week, some of us will be in withdrawal.

    What adorable horses...were you feeding them carrots to get them to pose like that?
    The plant is a campion, I think. "Bladder"? "Sea"? Anybody know...Julian/Fiona/Veronica?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's Sea Campion...

      Delete
    2. It really does take the long weekend to bring these people out! They seem to have little understanding of or appreciation for the great outdoors!

      As for the horses, I do so agree with Veronica's comment below. Of all the animals I come across, they are the least aggressive and the most winning. Although these Welsh ponies are small, they are immensely stronger than me, but they mean me no harm. Wonderful, really. And no, not in a thousand years could I get such a perfect pose again! My picture of the journey so far!

      Delete
  2. Greetings Kevin -- I note that you retain your love for limestone -- but a word of warning - be careful not to step into a 'sinkhole' - limestone is soluble in rainwater, especially if there is 'acid rain', and 'solution caverns' develop in the sub-surface. The surface can then collapse into the cavern leaving a sinkhole on the surface. There appears to be one such cavern in the fore-ground of your picture labelled "a strangely precise current differentiation..." This would amount to an extreme variation in the gentle horizontal walking that you so enjoy on the limestone!!

    I also enjoyed the steeply dipping beds with the 'advanced primates' clambering all over them ... bizarre - as you say - lets hope Anna does not get any ideas - but it seems that what some regard as madness, other think fun. And the sheer numbers of people out there today after the magnificent solitude of the other days!

    These rocks - I venture to suggest - are probably greywackes - a fine geological catch-all name that means sediments deposited underwater by submarine turbidity currents. These guys have been metamorphosed both by heating and by tectonic forces leading to tilting and differential movement that has resulted in the smooth polished surfaces that the abseilers are enjoying - and are thus meta-greywackes. I am open to correction on this.

    The lead Welsh Grey pony look quite opinionated, and possibly ferocious! Did you try to befriend him? or do you leave such antics to Veronica?

    I have also left a reply / greeting for Margie and for Veronica on day 8....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard! Now I have another item to add to my list of 'Thinks to worry about..'. Well spotted that hole!
      Your comment on the Welshy gives me the opportunity to enlarge on these delightful animals which I and my sisters enjoyed in our youth. The horse is a generic word to include ponies (under 1.73 meters at the very top of the shoulder, the withers).
      Welshies fall into several sub categories depending on how small they are. Typically the breed colours are largely greys (grey turns into white with age), as seen in Kevin's pictures. The other colours shown are chestnut (obvious!), liver chestnut and chestnut roan (colour mixed with white -in this case chestnut). But welshies also come in other colours...

      Delete
    2. Also, Richard, a horse which comes towards you with its ears pricked is either curious or begging for food. The latter, probably, in this case! Ears flat back, especially when combined with teeth, indicate agression (no!?!), especially in a horse that has been spoilt with treats, like a child always getting what it wants. 'A clean pair of heels' is usually flight. As horses are flight animals, they are far more likely to flee than fight you! They are wonderful animals to befriend.

      Delete
    3. Poor Veronica, beset with concerns! My concerns are more immediate. Like the something off that I had for supper last night!! Perhaps it's the local's way of persuading us visitors to leave the valleys and go home!

      Excellent geological analysis. Right up my street!

      Delete
  3. Kevin,
    A techno-challenge for you.
    For day 9, EveryTrail is asking us to Login, and then when we do that (I had to sign up first), and click the link, it just goes to EveryTrail.com and we are not directed to your walk.
    It is still working fine for the earlier days...
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dear Richard, entirely my fault! I do apologise. I must have supplied a link to Everytrial at an intermediate stage of its construction of my route! I have corrected the error and it is now reflecting the correct path without the need to login etc! My aplogies for the inconvenience! Thank goodness today is a rest day, which will alllow me to tend to these admin issues!

      Delete
  4. KTB,
    What a fantastic day and images! Stunningly captured and relayed to get everyone booking their trips down to West Wales, I hope. Or not...
    I would agree with Phyllis that the flower is Sea Campion. Silene uniflora.
    Years ago,inspired by its natural beauty and merits, we collected seed from the coastal path and, as you will see when you visit us, it now necklaces our old longhouse with its nearly evergreen grey green leaves and (usually) flowers from April to October.Growing happily in the sand and lime between our cobbles in no soil at all. Though this year without the coastal warmth, it still hasn't flowered yet. Even better for gardeners keen on fauna, the flowers are brilliant nectar sources for a wide range of insects.
    AND its Slug and Rabbit proof! Needless to say, nurseries and garden centres rarely promote it...
    Onwards through the Bank holiday melee. Can't wait for the next verbal and visual treat,
    BW
    GH and HN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a privilege to have the assistance of such assured botanists and geologists on this journey. It is only in the comments that the blog elevates itself above the bleedin' obvious! Regret that as it is a rest day, my next post won't happen until tomorrow!

      Delete
  5. That tearoom looks as closed now as it was then. And I would have liked a cuppa! Not a pretty building, but the view would have been lovely.
    Kevin, I recall the cold, I think sea temperatures are commonly around the 11C mark, same as off the 'cold side' of the Cape, Margie and Peter. No wet suits. Brrr! But we had really good fun canoeing. And I remember catching many mackerel off a long line of hooks, knocking the fish dead on the side of the canoe, then shoving them into the canoe to keep them safe while we carried on fishing. We then braaied them on the beach, using driftwood nestled in the cobbles. Delicious! (Mum had one experience of cooking them in the caravan, then said 'Forever, never again!'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I've never seen the cafe open. That's what comes from having pride of place. You don't have to work at it after that!

      Delete
  6. Your comment about inappropriate clothing reminds me of many years ago a "lady" trying to ascend the chains on Lion's Head in high heels - not quite stilettos but not far off! Were there any men wrongly shod like yours truly in the Kogelberg? I am so enjoying your walk from the safety of my "moonboot" and brace. Having the commentary and the spectacular views is really taking me out of the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perish the thought Pete! It's just that your superannuated footwear had to give up the ghost somewhere. The problem was all mine for not insisting we turn back!

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos, thanks. Libby says the bluebells have not yet opened in Stamford. I was fascinated by the rock formations. I am glad, though that you are not as mad as those people jumping off the cliffs. Their clothes must weigh them down a bit in the water and how do they know there are no rocks below them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bridgie, they are wearing wetsuits which give them buoyancy in the water as well as keeping them warm. The process is carefully controlled, so that they only jump in places where it has been established that there are no submerged rocks.

      Delete