Friday 3 May 2013

Day 8: Broad Haven to Solva

Weather: Thin, steely sunshine with strong southwester
Distance covered today: 18.5km (11.5mi)
Last night's B&B: Anchor Guest House
% Complete: Cumulative distance:  61.8%:  178.4km
GPS satellite track of today's route: Day 8 (click!)

My alarm woke me this morning from a very deep sleep in which I was having the happiest of dreams.  I was actually laughing as I awoke! By the time I had located the pesky mobile, the dream had faded. I tried to rescue it, but it was gone.  Still, the experience put me in the best of spirits and I went in to breakfast and proceeded to bend Adrienne’s ear for about an hour before taking off once more for the cliffs.

Poor Adrienne must be getting used to this by now. I first met her on the stretch from Neyland to Sandy Haven, almost half the walk ago. She was taking a picture of something in the bushes as I approached her from behind. We swapped notes and I was interested to hear that she too was walking the whole of the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path; the first person I had come across also to be doing this. She explained that she had never done a long-distance path before, but that she had trained hard in Derbyshire to prepare for it.

We found that we were booked into the same accommodation in Sandy Haven by coincidence. We walked together for a while, and though she seemed confident and resourceful, clearly she was not at ease. At a narrow stretch, she went ahead and I noticed a strange hand gesture from her trailing hand, as if she had come to a decision. She stopped, turned to me and told me that I was walking too fast for her and she would prefer to walk alone.  Of course I immediately apologised, and I went on ahead.  I was cross with myself that I hadn’t picked up on her unease earlier.

A little later, an old geezer at a gate stopped me to comment on the weather, the prospects for the Lions tour and was about to get onto the state of the nation, when I noticed Adrienne approaching out of the trees from behind. Immediately she saw the two of us, she hesitated, not wanting to catch up with me. I greeted the old man and sped off leaving him rather rudely in mid-sentence.

That evening Adrienne arrived happily at the B&B, and we shared practical stuff together. Later, our host ran us over to a pub to have supper, and I found myself alone with Adrienne having supper, with some bored Welsh youth hanging around somewhere in the background.  I don’t know if the incongruity of the situation struck her or not, but she was excellent company and we both made the best of an unusual situation. 

She explained to me that she was a Buddhist, and that she was on a sort of ‘pilgrimage’. She was using the walk as means of meditation, and that she needed time on her own. Hence her request for me to go ahead earlier in the day! She also explained that a number of friends and her partner were going to join her for different sections of the journey and the logistics of it all were a nightmare.

You may recall that I left the following morning at the crack of dawn, and I fully expected that would be the last I would see of her. Until last night!  Poor Adrienne showed up late at the B&B, exhausted and with a wonderful tale of woe. Apart from slipping up to her calves in mud, meaning that she’d had to remove shoes and socks and perform running repairs, she found herself staying in a filthy Youth Hostel with bugs under the cushions and mattresses,  and dirt everywhere.  She’d just endured a very long day’s walk. 

We exchanged war-stories over dinner and I left her this morning after breakfast, as she was preparing to meet a couple of friends who were going to walk the next section with her, but who couldn’t get to the start before as late as 10.00!

Poor intelligent, resourceful, determined Adrienne! I wish her all the best and I salute her independence, just as I regret that our paths won’t cross again.  Still, I’m sure that this walk, provided she has overcome the logistical pitfalls (!), will be of value to her. Only, will she ever get the time to meditate?
 
It is in the nature of these walks that these strange meetings occur, and I feel personally enriched by every one of them.  I’m not sure about tonight though!  I’ve met an unruly crowd of men from Tunbridge Wells and I’m off to meet them in the pub for a bender. I probably won’t remember a thing!

I’m now back from the pub and they didn’t turn up! I met them a little later while I was eating in a restaurant. They were hugely apologetic. They got their timing all wrong and had only just managed to make town. They were exhausted!  More logistical issues! I’m beginning to feel a bit smug! (Smugness comes before a fall!)

During today’s walk, at a strange and rather melancholy stretch of tarred path at the side of a cliff, specially prepared to allow disabled access, and with memorial benches every few yards looking out to sea, I found a special memorial to one Roger Dyer. Under his name, it read: “ ‘It is not a calamity to die with dreams unfulfilled: but it is a calamity not to dream.’ N. Mandela”. 

Provided of course that you can remember them!

Sunset last night, and empty tankers moored in the St Bride's Bay. More of that later!

I couldn't resist asking these two if they were mother and daughter, and of course they were: on holiday together

Broad Haven recedes behind me

Druidstone Haven

A view along the coastline from on high

The melancholy memorial path with disabled access

Roger Dyer's memorial

Sheer cliffs to the sea

Two young bullocks for Richard, if ever he gets back from fishing the Zambezi

Looking back at North Haven

These two young girls were part of of a Duke of Edinburgh group. They told me "We hate our parents, because they forced us to go! They think we are on expedition, but we are running away from home forever!" They giggled and ran after their mates!

Two old fellows preparing Nolton Haven for the long weekend onslaught

Beautiful Nolton Haven beach

The beetles were all at it today!  Must be something in the air, or maybe the sunshine has done it for them!

Newgale Sands from the south
 
One of those sad and rather tasteless memorials to someone lost. Suicide or accident. Who knows?

Newgale Sands from the North. Note that the tide had come in by the time I got there!

The high cliffs rising out of Newgale Sands

A succession of challenging roller coasters from sea-level up to the top and back down

And from the top, guess what? Refineries at full zoom!

A bluebell field for Bridget!

More immense cliffs as I started to approach Solva

The picturesque harbour in Lower Solva
 




22 comments:

  1. Solva! I remember walking past that garage with you! I think there was a tea-room next to it, then we walked up the path for a while to the left of your photo, back towards the open sea. The old part of Solva is to the right, and further up the valley, which is very pretty, are the 100 yr old Solva Woolen Mills.

    It's the 1st time you have mentioned bluebells. Shows how late they are this year. On your LEJOG they started with you in Cornwall and stayed with you most of the way up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the harbour is the first thing on this walk that I have seen before. I had no picture of it in my mind, until I saw it. Then, ah yes! Back into shared space! Lovely!

      Delete
  2. KTB,
    A lovely link at the end, with your earlier dream, but how tragically short a life Roger Dyer had. Re the mating beetles, I wonder if you caught a 'Biomimicry' radio programme a couple of months ago, where technology developed from natural properties/designs was featured. It started with shoes fitted with a special sole material based on the micro structures of beetle's feet. It enabled the typically giggly Beeb female reporter to walk on a ceiling. But the evolutionary theory behind beetles having this was that the beetles had developed this not to climb on ceilings! etc. but to allow the poor old male beetle to hang onto the shiny carapace of the usually larger and fast retreating female, during mating...
    PS Watch out for the Adders. The only time I've ever seen any was walking the next section of path beyond St.David's. F walked straight past one coiled barely a foot from the path amongst heather scrub. As I shouted and grabbed the camera, the single adder uncoiled, and slithered off - except it wasn't one, but 3. Bit like London buses,
    Still no rain?
    BW
    GH and HN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear GH, fortunately, with all the people tramping around the coastal path this weekend, I suspect any self-respecting adder has headed for the hills! Still, I'll keep my eyes peeled!

      Delete
  3. Fortunately, Julian, K is staying over in St Davids for 3 nights and finished in Solva yesterday - taking a taxi to St Davids. He still has another day's walk to get from Solva to St Davids. I think I might add the adders to my 'worrying list' from now on....
    At least he's not yet had the wet and slippery cliff edge paths....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, my love, I'm all over them! (Not the cliffs)!

      Delete
  4. How come the comments above are all out with their published time? I've noticed this all the way through and am stumped! My last comment seems to indicate I published it at 01:16, but that was the time I published today's 1st comment!! It's now 9:20 BST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My love, you are unfortunately in the grip of the imperial Google! Almost certainly, the times you are seeing are Pacific Standard Time. Once upon a time, the British imposed GMT, but now I'm afraid, the clock has moved west. Still, as consolation, our daughters will probably witness it moving to China...

      Delete
  5. I am back from an extraordinarily ill-tempered fishing trip on the Zambezi... there was a complete discord between some of us... i feel the opposite of refreshed and rejuvenated. grrr.

    perhaps the welsh scenery will soothe me as the Zambezi had not. certainly it is far more striking, even if less wild. The sea cliffs are spectacular. I have been struck by the almost 100% land use for some form of 'production' with almost none laid aside as natural land, except for a slender strip along the coast for the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, you are welcome back. I am so sorry the Zambezi proved disappointing. Meanwhile this exchange missed your insightful comments!

      Delete
  6. Ah, but inland, Richard, the mountains are wild and glorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica - I am always anticipating a blog where you appear on horseback and gallop past our foot-bound pilgrim -- ha ha - that would be medieval theatre!

      I did look around the Every Trail image and found a large massif east of Fishguard and south of Caridgan - but still it would be wonderful with more natural wild space. I hear the EU pays some farmers to 'not produce' - perhaps that policy could be massaged to produce large wilderness areas where Europe's mega-fauna could be re-established...

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. What a muddle! I was repeating myself, so deleted the above.

      Richard, I think Kevin would be quite glad to have the restrictions of the word 'FOOTpath'!!! On the odd occasion we have walked together, my 4 legs and his 2, even at his amazing speed of walking, he has been hard pushed to keep up. These hills might just beat him, even if the path were good enough for a horse. But those cliff edges, with 4 legs to control on a 1.778 meter horse would give me severe collywobbles!!

      Delete
  7. Hi Kev, your blog is addictive and I follow your progress in words and pictures avidly and with fascination. The writing gives a glimpse into your mind and emotions which is a rare privilege these days, while the photos reveal a landscape only imagined, described or rarely seen in films & now brought to life by you. Thank you for sharing ... and for the gift I received today! Please go on lifting us into a different space. Love, Margie. The Bluebells were lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margie,
      Greetings from Richard ... lovely to read your comments and recall times many (many) years ago when Kevin and I were students in Cape Town and you were the 'big' sister - of course 'big' is inverted commas, because Margie could never be described as 'big'..
      So connecting with old friends is another magical benefit of Kevin's walking !!! who would have imagined that?

      Delete
    2. How very good to see your comment! I'm delighted you were able to get this silly system to work. II look forward to hearing from you and Peter

      Delete
    3. Hi Richard and Kevin,
      This is scary, I feel I am contacting you from another world - made more distant, variable and unstable by the fact that I am doing this without my communication guide, Peter, who is off playing bridge for the first time since his accident ...! Odd how we keep discovering knowledge, vision and in my case, ignorance in disturbing and intriguing ways. Yes, Richard, renewed contacts are moving and uplifting (even though I am shrinking - in height!). I have heard of you but not from you till now - 30 years on - and that is so touching!
      Kev, thanks for the incredible vistas of sight and thought that you provide and produce. More words and news will follow anon.

      Delete
  8. This is Peter: What happened at 6.75 miles when your speed suddenly spurted from 4 to 6 mph and then back to 3 to 4 mph? If that was when you cut the old man off in mid-sentence I wonder what he must have thought - a strange fugitive perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Pete, excellent! Wrong day though!

      But yes, Anna, seeing me in my full walking regalia, said to me, "Dad, you look like one of those men you used to laugh at and warn me to avoid!"

      Delete
  9. I wonder if walking does different things to your brain than running does. When I run I try and think about things but inevitably I find I am counting up to four or eight or sometimes just two (on the hills). I adjust and consciously try and think about the trees and the sky and the flowers (I run in a very pretty neighbourhood) but it never lasts for long. It feels like a kind of meditation and I always feel wonderful afterwards.

    ReplyDelete